Pre Suburb - Wyldes 1887
The Hampstead Garden Suburb Archives Trust is a registered charity, known as Suburb Archives. It is responsible for ensuring that the archives of the suburb are properly cared for and are accessible to all.
These are a series of photos from the Archive Trust which display the area we all now know as Hampstead Garden Suburb, before it was ever built.
It is a historic property which at one point was occupied by Charles Dickens, but also Raymond Unwin the co-planner of the Suburb and a plaque remains on the house commemorating him.
This photo, with Henrietta Barnett's handwritten caption beneath, shows Wyldes Farm House which, as Dame Henrietta pointed out, was planned to be the gateway to the Hampstead Heath extension. Today it is on the corner of Hampstead Way and Wildwood Road with direct access to the Heath Extension.
These photos show the Wyldes Estate and Farm as the arable pasture land it was used for before the Suburb, indeed the Estate was owned by Eton before it was bought by Henrietta and the Trust.