Cicily (Cissy) Fairfield aka Dame Rebecca West
Dates: 21 December 1892 – 15 March 1983
Lived at: Fairliehope, 5 Chatham Close
- Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU)
- Cicily and her family evaded the census.
- Cicily took part in suffragette street protests
- Involved in selling suffragette newspapers from the age of 14.
Memorialised: There is a blue plaque in her honour at her former home at Hope Park Square, Edinburgh
Read the full description of Cicily Fairfield here
- Wrote for a range of publications, including The Freewoman, a feminist publication (which was banned by WH Smith) and The Clarion
- Became better known under her pen name of Dame Rebecca West. Became celebrated author of novels, essays, and journalism
- Awarded: CBE – 1949, DBE – 1959.