Opening of First Room in Institute

To display in FULL SCREEN hover the cursor over the image above ‚Äčand click the top left zoom button


This photo shows the opening of the first room in The Institute, in March 1909. Across the room are prominent figures in the origins and creation of the Suburb including founder Henrietta Barnett and her husband Samuel, architect of St Jude's Edwin Lutyens and all round architect and planner Raymond Unwin. 

From left to right: Henry Vivian, JS Bivkett, Edwin Lutyens, Herbert Ravnham, Canon Barnett, Henrietta Barnett, Raymond Unwin, Frederick Litchfield

Photograph, HGSAT121
Opening of First Room in Institute
Related people/organisations
The Hampstead Garden Suburb Archives Trust is a registered charity, known as Suburb Archives. It is responsible for ensuring that the archives of the suburb are properly cared for and are accessible to all.

Opened in 1909 by Hernietta Barnett the Institute has been at the heart of the Suburb Community for over a century. Dame Henritta believed in the transformative social powers of education and an adult education provider such as The Institute.

Born in 1844 Samuel Barnett was a clergyman and social reformer, known particularly for his work in creating Toynbee Hall and the origins of Hampstead Garden Suburb, along with his wife Henrietta. 

Raymond Unwin was a prominent engineer, architect and town planner of the late 19th and early twentieth centuries. Henrietta Barnett asked him to help plan Hampstead Garden Suburb following his success in designing Letchworth.
Related Collection
Series of photos, documents and objects from the Archive Trust that pre date the First World War, in the first seven years of the Suburb. 
Related place
Related objects
This photo shows a crowd gathered outside Institute Hall for its opening in March 1909. 

This photo of the opening of Institute Hall, an institution within the Suburb for nearly a century, and the planting of a tree by a group of children.