Opening of Institute Hall, Tree Planting

To display in FULL SCREEN hover the cursor over the image above ‚Äčand click the top left zoom button


This photo of the opening of Institute Hall, an institution within the Suburb for nearly a century, and the planting of a tree by a group of children. 

Photograph, HGSAT120
Opening of Institute Hall, Tree Planting
Related people/organisations
[BLANK]
The Hampstead Garden Suburb Archives Trust is a registered charity, known as Suburb Archives. It is responsible for ensuring that the archives of the suburb are properly cared for and are accessible to all.

[BLANK]
Opened in 1909 by Hernietta Barnett the Institute has been at the heart of the Suburb Community for over a century. Dame Henritta believed in the transformative social powers of education and an adult education provider such as The Institute.
Related Collection
[BLANK]
Series of photos, documents and objects from the Archive Trust that pre date the First World War, in the first seven years of the Suburb. 
Related place
Related objects
This photo shows a crowd gathered outside Institute Hall for its opening in March 1909. 

[BLANK]
This photo shows the opening of the first room in The Institute, in March 1909. Across the room are prominent figures in the origins and creation of the Suburb including founder Henrietta Barnett and her husband Samuel, architect of St Jude's Edwin Lutyens and all round architect and planner Raymond Unwin. 

From left to right: Henry Vivian, JS Bivkett, Edwin Lutyens, Herbert Ravnham, Canon Barnett, Henrietta Barnett, Raymond Unwin, Frederick Litchfield